Our Summer Musical Theater Intensive for Teens will feature CHICAGO: TEEN EDITION. This will be a three-week, weekday intensive program beginning June 28th. We’ll cast each young person in a role (or roles) that makes the most of their abilities. Rehearsals will begin Tuesday, June 28th. We’ll meet weekdays from 10 am until 5 pm at Sunlight Studios near the theater district. This includes a lunch break and other breaks as needed. As Monday, July 4th is a holiday, there will be no rehearsal that day.
Auditions for this program aren’t required. Casting will take place during the first two rehearsals.
Tech week begins July 11th, and we’ll have four performances at THEATRE 71 (152 W. 71st Street) from July 15th through July 17th.
- WHEN: June 28th through July 17th (excluding July 4th)
- WHERE: Sunlight Studios, 321 W. 44th St., NYC
- REHEARSALS: Weekdays from 10 am to 5 pm beginning Tuesday June 28th.
- TECH WEEK: July 11 through July 17
- PERFORMANCES: THEATRE 71, July 15 ( 7 pm), July 16 (3 pm and 7 pm) and July 17 (3 pm)
- AGE: For ages 12 through 18.
- TUITION: There is a fee of $950 to participate.
- It’s over-the-top and it’s dramatic. The characters’ personalities and their quirks give each performer a lot of room for creative interpretation.
- The costumes! It’s the 1920’s and naturally the costumes are fabulous and fun.
- The music is among the best ever written for musical theater.
- The choreography for our production will be accessible to young performers, yet it will be exciting and satisfying to perform.
Chicago is a dream show for any young performers who love to sing and dance, and an opportunity to perform it off-Broadway should not be missed!
About the Program
Rehearsals run from 10 am until 5 pm, Monday through Friday, with our first meeting on Tuesday, June 28th. Show week begins July 11th, with evening and matinee performances at THEATRE 71 beginning July 14th through 17th. There’s no rehearsal on Monday, July 4th.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain off-Broadway performance experience over the summer, and improve your musical theater and performance skills. Plus, it will be fun!
A few of our Legally Blonde cast members have already signed on, and our Legally Blonde choreographer is returning to teach Chicago. If you love to perform, you will not want to miss this.
We’ll have four public weekend performances beginning Friday July 15th. All shows will be at THEATRE 71, one of our favorite off-Broadway theaters, located at 152 W. 71st Street.
About CHICAGO: TEEN EDITION
In roaring twenties Chicago, chorus girl Roxie Hart murders a faithless lover and convinces her hapless husband, Amos, to take the rap. That is, until he finds out he’s been duped and turns on Roxie. Convicted and sent to death row, Roxie and another “Merry Murderess,” Velma Kelly, vie for the spotlight and the headlines, ultimately joining forces in search of the “American Dream”: fame, fortune, and acquittal.
Changes made for the Teen Edition:
- Removal of adult language and overtly sexual references.
- Removal of the songs “Class” and “A Bit of Good”
- Transposed keys to better accommodate teen voices
CHICAGO first opened on Broadway at the 46th Street Theatre in New York City on June 3, 1975. The production, directed and choreographed by Bob Fosse, ran for 936 performances. On Nov 14, 1996, a revival of the show opened on Broadway at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. It later transferred to Shubert Theatre, and then to the Ambassador Theatre, where, more than two decades later, it continues to run, logging nearly 10,000 performances.
About Polaris Productions
Polaris Productions has been producing youth musical theater since 2008. Previous shows include Into the Woods, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler On the Roof, Shrek, Guys and Dolls, Annie, and many more.
Polaris’ most recent show was Legally Blonde, performed at Theatre Row in December. All performances sold out.